On April 21, 2020, GLMA, Whitman-Walker Health, the National LGBT Cancer Network, the National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance, the New York Transgender Advocacy Group, and SAGE issued a second open letter to public health officials, healthcare institutions and government leaders on the impact of COVID-19 on LGBTQ communities. The letter, joined by 170 organizations, called for action to protect LGBTQ patients from discrimination and to include sexual orientation and gender identity in data collection efforts related to the pandemic. The letter also called for action to address the economic harm to LGBTQ communities from the pandemic.
To read the full second open letter and list of signatories, click here.
The letter released on April 21 is a follow-up to an open letter signed by more than 150 organizations issued by the six coordinating organizations on March 11, 2020. Information on the first letter is available here.
Important COVID-19 Resources:
- Resources for healthcare professionals on COVID-19 from the CDC
- Resources for the general public on COVID-19 from the CDC
- National LGBTQ Cancer Network’s “Coronavirus 2019: What LGBTQ+ People Should Know
- National Center for Transgender Equality‘s guide for transgender people and COVID-19
- HHS Interim Guidance for COVID-19 and Persons with HIV